Monday, September 27, 2021

 Since I started this blog to share some of my writing, I thought I'd post the story I wrote for my fiction writing workshop course. It's a total of almost 7 pages, so I'm going to post it in excerpts...first excerpt tonight will be the first page. 



    My story is called "Whispers in the Woods"; I used the authorial name of AD Hazelett instead of April - trying out pen names if I write fiction. This story was written in January and February of 2021. Hope you enjoy - and don't forget to check back for another excerpt in a couple of days!       

                                                                        🐾☆✨                  

       Even as the coastal winds moaned through the trembling tall trees, Emma heard the ghostly call. She’d heard it several times as the afternoon slid into evening. Now twilight was deepening into darkness and investigating would have to wait until morning. 

As she finished feeding her furred-menagerie and headed in to start her own supper, she told her furry companions “If I hear that sound again tomorrow, we’re going on an adventure”.

      Emma quickly threw together sauteed vegetables with pasta and sausage, poured a glass of wine and sat down to unwind with a movie and her two cats and three dogs.

As the movie ended, the storm let loose- winds howled and sheets of rain pummeled against the house. “Well, I hope whatever we heard has shelter”.

Emma expected sleep to come easily, but something in the night kept gnawing at her. Just on the edge of sleep all night, she heard the thunder roar and the rain as drops mingled with sheets against the house.

      After a fitful night, Emma woke late to a drizzly morning with the promise of sun behind leaden gray coastal clouds. Dressing warmly in sturdy but comfortable jeans, t-shirt and hoody combination and hiking boots, she had already decided to go hunt for the source of the sound from yesterday. A quick feed and check of her menagerie, Emma also prepared her daypack. Shortly after arriving in the northwest four years earlier, she’d figured out never to go anywhere without the barest of necessities.

       After a quick and simple meal of coffee and oatmeal, Emma turned to the woods with Banjo her retired search and rescue dog and they started what was believed to be a rescue mission.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Recognition!

Doing research for a school project, I ran  across this: MY PERSONAL BLOG mentioned in an article - “100 Best Nature Blogs and Websites in 2...