Thursday, October 7, 2021

 

The next excerpt of my short story, "Whispers in the Woods".... 

Together, the foursome head to Emma’s where she fed her barn menagerie then joined the animal companions and Aura in the house. As she walked in, Aura slid cornbread into the oven. The homey aroma of stew beckoned from the stove.

          Counting fur-children as Emma reached into the refrigerator, “Mmmm, that smells good”. She poured two glasses of wine, handing one to Aura.

         “Ok. Now please, tell me how you happen to be in the woods behind my house and why this is the time? I mean, I grew up basically alone, never knowing if I had any family or who my parents were and now, almost 10 years into my adult life, you show up. I’m not trying to be rude but I would appreciate an explanation”.

          Aura nodded sympathetically, “Yes, I’m sure you have many questions, or will. And I completely understand your feelings.” She took a sip of wine and after stirring the stew, came to sit with Emma at the table.

         “After you were born, your parents went on an extended trip and left you with me. They never returned  and to this day, I still don’t know why. After several months, I didn’t have the means to provide for you and social services questioned if I was fit to raise you. You have to understand, they thought I was a witch”.

          Emma almost choked on her wine! “A witch?!”

         “Yes. And they were right – I was – or am. As were – or are – your parents.”

          Emma simply sat and stared at this stranger. A witch. This woman, her aunt, had just claimed to be a witch. And announced her parents – who’d simply disappeared, were

 

witches as well. Wouldn’t that make her a witch? OH! Wait a minute! More wine… “Am I? Uhm, a – a – witch too?”

          With one quick nod , Aura stated “Of course”, as if Emma should have realized.

          Emma began to think back – maybe this was why she’d been shuttled from home to home so quickly as a child. Maybe this was why she felt closer to animals than people. She looked around the room: three dogs, two cats, and a talking raven snoozed together in apparent perfect harmony.

         She shook her head, feeling a headache coming on and thought to herself ‘its not just the wine’. To Aura she said, “Can we just eat and talk more later?”

         Aura jumped up from the table, “Of course dear” and went to the stove to ladle up stew and cut cornbread. Emma poured more wine.

                                                              🌿🍷🍞

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recognition!

Doing research for a school project, I ran  across this: MY PERSONAL BLOG mentioned in an article - “100 Best Nature Blogs and Websites in 2...