Friday, October 8, 2021

I'm posting the last excerpt of "Whispers in the Woods" this evening. Tonight is the last night of my vacation and I wanted to get the final post of my short story in as I don't know when I'll be back on my blog again...it should be within a week, but I can't guarantee that, so here's the last page (or so). Thanks to those few I know are following and supporting. 

           They sat together in silence at the table to eat – not uncomfortably, but not yet companionably either.

            Stew and cornbread done, Emma found blankets and a pillow for Aura who snuggled down on the couch to watch a movie. Emma went to her room with the envelope. She slowly unfolded the one-page note and instantly teared up at the small and delicate writing – her mother. Her parents had gone abroad to see about family property in Ireland when she was six months old. They had expected to return by her first birthday. Some unknown even kept them from her and now she needed to know what, as well as discover a legacy she never knew she had. Maybe if the pieces could come together it

would explain why she’d always felt a pull to Ireland, to animals, to mystical places and things. The fact that the women in the picture were perfect matches to herself and Aura had to mean something, didn’t it? And Aura had given her the picture and note. How she came to be in the woods behind her house still needed an answer but that would come.

 Emma had mysteries to unravel about her own past and her parents, and now she had an aunt – Aura.

              Emma returned to the living room and smiled wanly at Aura, “I guess its time to find out about my heritage. I need to know everything I can. Can you help me?”

             Aura opened her arms to Emma and said “I’d love to. I’ll tell you everything I know about your parents and about being a witch. And you can fill me in on your life. We’ll learn together.”

            Emma and Aura hugged, sealing a fate of family and friends.

                                                                 ðŸ‘­ðŸ’šðŸ“–

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recognition!

Doing research for a school project, I ran  across this: MY PERSONAL BLOG mentioned in an article - “100 Best Nature Blogs and Websites in 2...