Tuesday, September 21, 2021

I cannnot believe what I just saw on the news...censoring books!? I thought we, as a society, had learned something over the years. But I guess I was wrong. Not that that hasn't happened before - oh, so many times before. But censoring books? Seriously people - books keep our minds sharper and our humanity in tune. There is the crutch - humanity. I have seen less and less of true humanity over the past year or so with the pandemic overshadowing our lives. Domestic violence and overall crime. It's not enough that the virus has taken over our lives. We have to let our inner idiots take over too. Well, not me. I'm going to read every book I can get my hands on and if I can get a copy of the so-called 'censored' list, I'll read those twice at least! When someone tells me I can't, that's when I become a driving force to do just that very thing... 📚 

1 comment:

  1. OK! I'm going to try this again...I was almost done with my rant and the computer ate the post.
    Anyway, I was going to comment that the reasons given for many of the books on the censored list are ridiculous. Anyone can feel offended by anyone or anything else, even and especially unintentionally. And of course, there are those that insist on being offended, regardless of the issue.
    Sure, we can say culture, race, religion, politics, lifestyle and language are all hot topics right now - have been and will continue to be as long as the media is allowed to exploit them.
    Society takes advantage of 'fake news' and yellow journalism, putting out information only to incite an already frightened, uneducated or otherwise unaccepting public. This only exacerbates a problem that is ageless.
    The same is true for not teaching historical topics or trying to change history - history is "the study of the past" and this includes actual events as well as "the memory, discovery, collection, organization, presentation and interpretation" of said events (Wikipedia). THIS is what gives this society privilege to offense - in any matter. Removing statues or deleting historical events from history books WILL NOT change history...it only changes the presentation and interpretation.
    To me, abridging history courses and censoring books are in the same arena. This allows for lack of education and leads to fear which only brings us full circle as discrimination starts when we fear something. For some reason, we think it's better to avoid what we fear or destroy it - this isn't going to change the fact that the fear is real. Educating ourselves on something we fear, in my opinion, is better than just closing a door on it or causing societal uproar.
    Humanity is real - and it requires us as humans to act humanely. This is something the world has been lacking for quite some time. Watching the crime rates and terrorism increase has only driven this lower.
    Please: if you comment, do so with humanity in mind. There were many things I could have and wanted to say, but to minimize further issues, I don't feel I have that right.

    ReplyDelete

Recognition!

Doing research for a school project, I ran  across this: MY PERSONAL BLOG mentioned in an article - “100 Best Nature Blogs and Websites in 2...